DietPi Improvements

Hi,

I would like to list a few improvements which in my opinion will make DietPi even better.

Please keep in mind that i am using DietPi with an old Raspberry Pi 1. RPi B (armv6l) to be precise.
Automation File:

• HDMI Screen Resoluton should be adjustable in the Automation File. 1280x720 is the default but 1366x768 is the world’s most used resolution according to W3C and i personally use a 1080p monitor.

• PiHole should be listed there specifically as it is the most widely installed DietPi Software. As of now the id must be looked up and then entered.
    First Boot:

• rpi-update should be run automatically during the initial setup AND also during each dietpi-update to keep the Pi Firmware updated.
    PiHole:

I use my Pi headless and always use the Automation File to setup a static IP before initial boot.

-After selecting PiHole in dietpi-software the initial whiptail menu telling you to setup a static IP should not display if you are already on a static IP.

-DietPi is known for making your life easier as so many things are automated and optimized so there should be a cool dietpi way of updating a PiHole installation. As of now except for the PiHole Core only a unistall and reinstall of PiHole updates the Webinterface. This is not good if you have setup PiHole in a specific manner in the PiHole Settings or Black/Whitelisted stuff.

-PiHole should be updated automatically during each dietpi-update.
DietPiCam:

It’s been a long time. Please update to match the offical RPi Cam Web Interface version 6.2.29
These were just my 2 Cents.

Thank You for reading and DietPi is by far the best thing that could have happened to Raspberry Pi and all the other supported SBCs. I have been using it since 2015 and have never felt the need to go back to Raspbian. Keep the good work up.

Best Regards.

Hi Zombie,

Many thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I’ll go over a few that I can cover now:

rpi-update should be run automatically during the initial setup AND also during each dietpi-update to keep the Pi Firmware updated.

DietPi now has its own RPi kernel. This will be updated automatically through dietpi-update, and includes drivers such as Allo Boss/Piano 2.1 DAC’s. We’ll keep it upto date with the official kernel aswell.

HDMI Screen Resoluton should be adjustable in the Automation File. 1280x720 is the default but 1366x768 is the world’s most used resolution according to W3C and i personally use a 1080p monitor.

As this can be configured in /boot/config.txt before system boot, it seems unnecessary to add this again to dietpi.txt for automation purposes.

PiHole should be listed there specifically as it is the most widely installed DietPi Software. As of now the id must be looked up and then entered.

Yep, I agree PiHole is installed on alot of systems.
However, PiHole cannot be automated at the moment. This is because we use the official installer that requires user input. There may be another method to bypass inputs, but, i’am yet to find it.

After selecting PiHole in dietpi-software the initial whiptail menu telling you to setup a static IP should not display if you are already on a static IP.

Noted, i’ll see if we can add a check for this.

PiHole should be updated automatically during each dietpi-update.

As you found out with PiHole update throwing errors - #3 by Zombievirus updating PiHole overwrites the lighttpd.conf. DietPi-Software prevents this during install, but not during updates. I’ll make a ticket and see if we can sort this:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/753

PiHole should be updated automatically during each dietpi-update.

Even if we get pihole -up to play ball with lighttpd.conf, if for some reason the latest PiHole commit breaks program, doing this could render a working PiHole broken.
I’d rather DietPi wasn’t responsible for that and prevent users reporting “DietPi broke PiHole”, simply because we ran pihole -up. This should be user driven.

Thank You for reading and DietPi is by far the best thing that could have happened to Raspberry Pi and all the other supported SBCs. I have been using it since 2015 and have never felt the need to go back to Raspbian. Keep the good work up.

Great to hear Zombie, thanks for all the feedback, and, keeping on top of those version posts, helps me alot :slight_smile:

Almost forgot.

DietPi-Cam update, already has a ticket. Will get round to it asap:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/737

Now i know more than before

Thanx for the insight :wink: