Did I completely brick my Orange Pi 5 plus by trying to update kernel?

Oh no. I hate to bother him. It seems like he’s an incredibly busy guy, based on what I see here.

I was wondering if my quickest course of getting back to my old working system may be to flash the SD card with a fully bootable armbian image, get it configured, update the SPI bootloader (I’m wondering if that’s the crucial step I forgot), then re-flash the SD card with the latest dietpi image for arm64 just in case.

Reboot, see if it magically fimnds the old boot partition on the eMMC drive and boots from that, and if not, contirnue to boot from the fresh dietpi image on the SD card and then do a dietpi-backup restore from the external backup I’d created.

Would that work do you think and put things right.? Any potential pitflass, things to watch out for, or things or should make sure to do?

Also, if I were to get the system up and running from the SD card with a fresh install of dietpi and get the eMMC and my external drive mounted, can I use dietpi-backup to restore from the external drive to the internal eMMC. Or, do I really at this point just need to update the bootloader somehow?