Can't download/upload torrent from DietPi

I’m using DietPi v8.7.1 on RPi 3 B+ model and I have a problem where I can’t upload or download anything from torrent. I’ve been using this RPi as a seedbox on a couple private trackers and it worked like a charm until recently. I didn’t change any settings meantime.

I’m using qbittorrent and for every single torrent on the list, under “Trackers” tab, URLs for announce have status “Not working”. I thought maybe the problem is qbittorrent itself, so I tried Transmission, but it’s the same thing. Trackers don’t register seeding at all. Readding torrents doesn’t help neither.

Beside downloading something new from the same trackers, I’ve also tried downloading manjaro .iso torrent from the official website, but no download starts showing “stalled” status and when I check “trackers” tab, it’s the same “Not working” status as mentioned above.

Also, I thought maybe the problem was that I switched internet provider recently, so they might have placed me under CG-NAT, but seems like that’s not the case and after port forwarding, the port where qbittorrent-nox is running is reported open with the services like canyouseeme.

Finally, I tried a couple files from RPi to seed from my PC and it works fine even that I didn’t do port forward for it at all. Also, no problem downloading the same manjaro. iso, it starts instantly.

Do you have any suggestions, what can I try to do in order to be able to download/seed from the RPi again?

Any suggestion or anything? I tried searching around the web, but I didn’t find anything useful.

Hi, just a little question
Are you downloading the torrents to a external disk connected to the rpi? If that’s the case, maybe I can help you, I had a problem with that

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, or to be precise, files I’m trying to seed are on three different locations, 2 usb flash drivers connected to the RPi and on a sdcard where the OS is, but these on the sdcard don’t work either.

@ganxo any update please?

Try enabling DTH, it should seed / download without trackers at all. If this is not working, something is blocking the traffic, probably your ISP?

@Jappe I tried enabling it, as well as PeX and LPD, but still nothing. ISP is not blocking the traffic at all, since the same torrents work on all the other local devices. Something on the dietpi is blocking torrent traffic.

By default, there is no software on DietPi that will block access/ports/traffic. Did you install anything like ufw? iptables? any software that could do blocking on network level?

Hi. I think I have the same or similar issue.

I just reinstalled the last release from sratch because of a SD failure after a couple of years of continuous usage of the last one. The system was always kept up to date.

After the flash on the new SD I tried to replicate my previous setup. I have an external NTFS USB drive mounted at /mnt/storage where I used to save downloads. I mounted it with dietpi-drive_manager. I also installed the ntfs-3g driver and I’m able to create and delete files in the mounted drive.

dietpi@DietPi:~$ df -h
Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                    59G  4.7G   52G   9% /
devtmpfs                    350M     0  350M   0% /dev
tmpfs                       480M     0  480M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                       192M  9.8M  183M   6% /run
tmpfs                       5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                       1.0G   16M 1009M   2% /tmp
tmpfs                        50M   12K   50M   1% /var/log
/dev/mmcblk0p1              127M   32M   95M  26% /boot
/dev/sda1                   932G  464G  468G  50% /mnt/storage

dietpi@DietPi:~$ ll /mnt
total 268
drwxrwxr-x 16 dietpi dietpi   4096 Sep 10 14:30 dietpi_userdata
drwxrwxr-x  2 dietpi dietpi   4096 Jul  3 17:36 ftp_client
drwxrwxr-x  2 dietpi dietpi   4096 Jul  3 17:37 nfs_client
drwxrwxr-x 18 root   dietpi 262144 Sep 13 23:02 storage

I reinstalled Deluge from the software utility and pointed the download folder to /mnt/storage/Torrents/Downloading/

Everything seems similar to my old setup. The services are runnig as expected, the web ui works perfectly and the user permissions seem right.

dietpi@DietPi:~$ ps -ef | grep deluge
debian-+    1592       1  1 Sep13 ?        00:14:39 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/deluged -d
debian-+    1605       1  0 Sep13 ?        00:01:25 deluge-web

dietpi@DietPi:~$ groups debian-deluged
debian-deluged : dietpi debian-deluged

All that said, every torrent I add to the download list via the web ui do not start. They just stay there at 0%

Can anyone please tell me what I am missing?

Do connected peers stay at 0 as well or the download progress only? Please check also logs:
qBittorrent:

journalctl -u qbittorrent

Deluge:

journalctl -u deluged -u deluge-web

And verify that those listen to the port you expect/forwarded:

ss -tlpn

I see Peers and Peers constantly at 0.

BTW, I added a torrent that points to /mnt/storage/Torrents (USB drive) and one that points to /mnt/dietpi_userdata/deluge (system SD card) and neither of them starts, so I’m inclined to say that it’s NOT the destination drive type or FS that causes the issue

The logs don’t say much.

-- Journal begins at Wed 2022-09-14 22:10:31 CEST, ends at Thu 2022-09-15 15:02:30 CEST. --
Sep 14 22:11:09 DietPi systemd[1]: Started Deluge Daemon (DietPi).
Sep 14 22:11:10 DietPi systemd[1]: Started Deluge Web UI (DietPi).

I didn’t change any of the default ports. In deluge web-ui I have “incoming port” set to 6881, and I can’t see it in the list. “outgoing ports” is ser to random

dietpi@DietPi:/usr/lib/systemd/system$ ss -tlpn
State                Recv-Q               Send-Q                               Local Address:Port                                Peer Address:Port               Process                                                                    
LISTEN               0                    128                                        0.0.0.0:34947                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:57381                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:54085                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:4711                                     0.0.0.0:*                   users:(("amuleweb",pid=587,fd=14))                                        
LISTEN               0                    5                                        127.0.0.1:6600                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:4712                                     0.0.0.0:*                   users:(("amuleweb",pid=587,fd=8),("amuled",pid=573,fd=8))                 
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:9002                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    80                                       127.0.0.1:3306                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    511                                      127.0.0.1:6379                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                         0.0.0.0:139                                      0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:36845                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:111                                      0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                         0.0.0.0:8112                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    511                                        0.0.0.0:80                                       0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    5                                          0.0.0.0:8181                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                       0.0.0.0:4662                                     0.0.0.0:*                   users:(("amuleweb",pid=587,fd=10),("amuled",pid=573,fd=10))               
LISTEN               0                    1000                                       0.0.0.0:22                                       0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    511                                        0.0.0.0:443                                      0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                     127.0.0.1:8125                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    64                                         0.0.0.0:39517                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                         0.0.0.0:445                                      0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                         0.0.0.0:58846                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                     127.0.0.1:19999                                    0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    64                                         0.0.0.0:2049                                     0.0.0.0:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                          [::]:40611                                       [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    1024                                             *:5252                                           *:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    5                                            [::1]:6600                                        [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                          [::]:9002                                        [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    511                                          [::1]:6379                                        [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                            [::]:139                                         [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    64                                            [::]:42191                                       [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                          [::]:111                                         [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    511                                           [::]:80                                          [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                          [::]:55507                                       [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                             *:8084                                           *:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    128                                              *:21                                             *:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                               *:2038                                           *:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    1000                                          [::]:22                                          [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                               *:2039                                           *:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                          [::]:57049                                       [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    511                                           [::]:443                                         [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    50                                            [::]:445                                         [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    4096                                         [::1]:8125                                        [::]:*                                                                                             
LISTEN               0                    64                                            [::]:2049                                        [::]:*       

Nothing of that sort. Actually, I didn’t install anything from the time it worked until now. One thing I noticed also is that for some reason, when I SSH into RPi, it shows device model, CPU temp and LAN IP, and then it takes some time to show the console, dietpi-launcher, config etc… but right below LAN IP it shows

“curl: (28) Resolving timed out after 3000 milliseconds”

. That never happened before.

Wow, that last info I wrote actually made me fix the issue. I use this RPi for pihole as well, other devices use it as a dns resolver with no issue (RPi’s IP is the main router’s primary DNS), and when I tried pinging a couple times from the device, I always pinged 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9 and so on. I just tried pinging deb repository and got an error.

In diet-config, IP of this device is static and x.x.x.20, meanwhile DNS IP was set to IP of default gateway which is x.x.x.1

As soon as I switched static DNS to x.x.x.20 it started showing traffic on pihole and status “Working” for trackers announce links.

I’m not sure should I mark this as a solution, or wait for @Tarrasque to fix his as well.

Don’t know. I don’t use PiHole so I don’t think the two issues are related.

My system is pretty basic, a new installation with little hacking. I’m using the device as a small download server and the only two applications of note are amule (working perfectly) and deluge (not working). Everything is set with default parameters including ports.

Everything was installed with dietpi utilities except for amule which is not in the available software.

If you think it’s better we can move my interventions in a new thread.

That means DietPi is using PiHole (installed on the same system) as upstream DNS server?

Hi all.

Should I move my issue to another topic?

you could give it a try.