Adding useful Software

My suggestions for useful Software to adding in dietpi-software:

inxi ; small system hard and softwarelisting via terminal
cockpit ; dashboard and terminal from browser (from Windows without putty :wink:)
x11vnc ; vncserver for remote access to the user-desktop (not root-only by default), compatible with UltraVNCviewer in Windows

Hey, thx for your suggestions. Did you check out dietpi-dashboard, it can also be accesses via a web browser and also have a CLI build in.

Hi,
i had the dietpi-dashboard installed and try to login with http://myip:5252
but i get the error “method not allowed” and the dietpi-dashboard no ask for Password.

Cockpit had not make problems, its easyer to use.

It would be good to report issues to our dietpi-dashboard Github. This way it can be fixed.

BTW: just checked latest nightly and it is working without issues on my test system

Should be quite simple to install manually. Usually we don’t add such software title to our catalogue

apt install inxi

Result will be following

root@DietPiR5S:~# inxi
CPU: Quad Core Model N/A (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 1416/408/1992 MHz Kernel: 5.10.110 aarch64 Up: 1m
Mem: 202.6/1958.1 MiB (10.3%) Storage: 11.03 GiB (14.3% used) Procs: 137 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.01
root@DietPiR5S:~#

ok, it’s trivial, but usefull. Or take it directly in the images.
Function of inxi :
possible switches from inxi -v1 to -v7 (-v8 as root)

inix -v7 ; view all as user
sudo inxi -v8 view all as root

This would be exactly the opposite of what we are aiming for. We try to run our images with less packages as possible.

1 Like

Would be a cool list of apps - “these things will help stock installs”

post up what you put on and what it does for you and see if others like those as well

Found this thread via search.
I am using one dietpi as chromium kiosk mode without desktop
Would be nice to have x11vnc available as option in the software center like other vnc variants.
Thereby I can remotely manage and see what is on the screen.
As far as I know does now work with other vnc variants which require desktop.

TigerVNC and RealVNC can btw be used as well to connect to a local shared desktop session. There is an option in /boot/dietpi.txt to enable it instead of default virtual desktop session.

But indeed currently they pull a desktop as well. Probably we can liberalize this.