Remote Desktop Access¶
Documentation in progress…
The Optimised Software links marked in bold have a more detailed description. The other links redirect to the old documentation (available on DietPi.com Forum). We need your help to create and update this documentation ! Thank you
- TigerVNC Server - Desktop for remote connection
- RealVNC Server - Desktop for remote connection
- XRDP - Remote desktop server for Windows Remote Desktop Client
- NoMachine - Feature rich remote desktop connection
- Remot3.it - (Weaved) Access your device over the internet.
- VirtualHere - Share physically attached USB devices from your SBC, over the network.
How do I run DietPi-Software and install Optimised software ?
To install any of the DietPi Optimised Software listed below run from the command line:
Choose Software optimised and select one or more items. Finally click on
Install. DietPi will do all the necessary steps to install and start these software items.
To see all the DietPi configurations options, review DietPi Tools section.
 TigerVNC Server - Desktop for remote connection¶
From the list of Optimised Software, together with any of the Remote Desktop Software choose also one of Graphical Desktop environment. DietPi will install both of them, enabling you to use your keyboard and mouse to interact with a graphical desktop environment on your device.
Run a Desktop environment on your device and access it accessed remotely via network. It is a great option for headless SBC devices.
You can control the VNC service with:
systemctl status vncserver.service
- Use the IP address of your DietPi device (e.g.: 192.168.0.100). If you can’t connect, try connecting to screen 1 (e.g.: 192.168.0.100:1)
- Use the password you entered during the installation. If you would like to change the password run from the console/terminal
- The default port is 5901. Note: To enable access from outside of your local network, this port needs to be forwarded from your router.
VNC servers start automatically during boot, unless you have selected Desktop from
dietpi-autostart configuration tool.
To enable a different startup setup, run from the command line the main DietPi tool:
VNC Server - Shared desktop¶
Edit dietpi.txt and enable VNC server to run in shared desktop mode:
and change to value 1 next line
A running desktop is required in this mode, please set desktop to start from boot:
VNC Server - Resolution settings¶
Here it’s an example on how to run VNC server on screen :1, creating a new desktop with 1280x720 resolution:
SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_WIDTH=1280 SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_HEIGHT=720 SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_DEPTH=32 SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_DISPLAY_INDEX=1
systemctl restart vncserver.service