April 2022 (version 8.3)¶
The April 2nd, 2022 release of DietPi v8.3 comes together with the new PHP Composer software option, motionEye now available on Bullseye, some improvements to the DietPi-Drive_Manager, and more.
Photo by congerdesign, Pixabay
PHP Composer The PHP package manager has been made a dedicated install option.
WizardCat - getcomposer.orgvia Wikimedia tech blog, MIT
- Container Initial support for container systems has been added to DietPi, using hardware ID 75. For now it is assumed that the container guest does not require an own network stack, but uses the host network interface or one managed by the container engine. This works well with
systemd-nspawnwhich we use for DietPi image generation and for testing DietPi features in CI/CD pipelines. Further support and images for specific container engines, like Docker or LXC with Proxmox and QEMU will follow.
DietPi-Banner It is now possible to hide the credits section from the DietPi banner. Run
dietpi-bannerto configure its content. Many thanks to @math-gout for contributing this feature: MichaIng/DietPi!5355
DietPi-Drive_Manager Adding an NFS drive now allows to select a specific export from an NFS server, detected via
showmount -e <IP/hostname>. Entering a custom path is still possible, including the single slash
/which was always used before. If the NFS server has no root export defined via
fsid=0, this solves the issue that the full root directory structure is mounted and allows to mount multiple shares from the same server. Many thanks to @bamyasi for doing this suggestion.
DietPi-Drive_Manager NFS and Samba network drives can now be mounted to any directory on the server, not necessarily below
- DietPi-DDNS It is now possible to select the IP family to associate with your DDNS domain. For new setups, IPv4 is used by default for best compatibility. If you configured your DDNS domain already, no IP family is forced to not change existing behaviour, unless selected explicitly. We recommend to use IPv4 so that your server can be reached with any client from any network, regardless whether client and network support IPv6 or not. Many thanks to @TomBayne for suggesting this feature: MichaIng/DietPi#5354
- DietPi-Software | motionEye We worked together with other contributors to revive motionEye and port it over to Python 3, which also allowed us to re-enable it on Debian Bullseye systems. It requires further careful testing before a stable release can be done, but common functionality works. We enabled it with a
betamark in DietPi-Software. Visit the new home of motionEye, and if you want, contribute or help testing: motioneye-project/motioneye
- DietPi-Software | Node-RED The
noderedservice user is now added to the
spisystem group automatically, relevant on Raspberry Pi to grant it access to SPI-attached sensors and similar. Many thanks to @devifast for reporting a related issue.
- DietPi-Software | TasmoAdmin Reduced the downloaded data size from ~150 MiB to ~4 MiB by downloading the runtime files of the latest release only instead of the whole GitHub repository archive.
- NanoPi NEO3 Resolved an issue where the board became unbootable after an
apt upgradebecause the latest version of the Armbian kernel does not ship a NEO3 device tree anymore. On DietPi upgrade, it is switched to the NanoPi R2 rev00 device tree, which works regarding Ethernet, USB and general GPIO interface: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/20133-nanopi-neo3-dtb-gone-since-linux-dtb-current-rockchip64-22021/
- Raspberry Pi Resolved an issue where enabling and using onboard WiFi during first run installs was failing if a reboot was done after first run update due to a kernel upgrade. Many thanks to @matteocarnelos for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5391
- Network Resolved an issue where the systemd network targets could have been reached before the network adapter was even detected. Many thanks to @Totila for reporting this issue.
- DietPi-WiFi-Monitor The first default gateway check is now done after the first tick rate interval instead of immediately after service start. This adds another grace period at boot to reduce the chance that the WiFi monitor reconfigures the interface which is just about to be configured for the first time. This should usually not be required, but may help with cases where the initial DHCP lease or WPA authentication time out or fail.
- DietPi-TimeSync Resolved an issue where the script threw a syntax error where it shouldn’t, which however didn’t affect functionality. Many thanks to @adminy for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5347
- DietPi-Login Resolved an issue where a prompt about an unsupported SSH client terminal was incorrectly shown. Many thanks to @jahway603 and @Dagon for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5341, MichaIng/DietPi#5366
- DietPi-Drive_Manager Worked around an issue on Bullseye with legacy Linux versions, where exFAT filesystems failed to mount since the exFAT driver for FUSE is not invoked automatically if the native kernel driver is missing. A symlink for
mount.exfat => mount.exfat-fuseis now created in these cases to force this invocation, and it is removed as fast as due to a kernel upgrade, the native exFAT driver becomes available. Many thanks to @RunningUtes for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5166
- DietPi-Software | Kodi Resolved an issue on Raspberry Pi Bullseye systems where libraries were missing to run Kodi via KMS/DRM. Many thanks to @derebo for reporting this issue.
- DietPi-Software | Mopidy Resolved an issue where there installation failed. Many thanks to @amibumpin for reporting this issue.
- DietPi-Software | rTorrent Resolved an issue where the web interface didn’t work with Nginx because the PHP handler wasn’t set. Many thanks to @vinhtq115 for providing the solution: MichaIng/DietPi!5375
- DietPi-Software | Webmin Worked around an issue where the install failed. Many thanks to @omavoss for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5386
- DietPi-Software | WireGuard Resolved an issue where the WireGuard module shipped with the kernel was not detected if it is shipped xz-compressed. Many thanks to @Carbonara for reporting this issue.
- DietPi-Software | Chromium Resolved an issue on Raspberry Pi Bullseye systems where pages did not load but a “Page Unresponsive” error prompt was shown after a while instead, if KMS/DRM was not used. Many thanks to @pastaholic for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5342
- DietPi-Software | Nukkit Resolved an issue where the service failed to start because of an unintended single quote character in the service file. Many thanks to @richardpdunngb for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#5396
As always, many smaller code performance and stability improvements, visual and spelling fixes have been done, too much to list all of them here. Check out all code changes of this release on GitHub: MichaIng/DietPi!5397