October 2023 (version 8.23)¶
The October 21th, 2023 release of DietPi v8.23 comes with hardware related enhancements (Raspberry Pi, ROCK5B, ROCK 4, VisionFive 2) and a couple of improvements and bug fixes.
- Raspberry Pi On Debian Bookworm and above, the RPi APT repository will be migrated to its new Bookworm suite. This solves issues and should enhance performance with FFmpeg, Kodi and some other A/V software, where we used the Debian packages with less hardware support before. The packages should be upgraded automatically on DietPi update. Please report back if you experience any issues during this process.
- ROCK 5B Added an option to
dietpi-config“Advanced Option” to flash the SPI bootloader, which enables USB and NVMe boot for DietPi images.
- ROCK 4 Added an option to
dietpi-config“Advanced Option” to flash the SPI bootloader, which enables USB and in case NVMe boot for DietPi images. Note that not all ROCK 4 models ship with an onboard SPI storage. DietPi-Config will check for it, in case apply a related device tree overlay and suggests a reboot. If after the reboot an SPI device has still not been found, your board seems to have none. Report back if this is definitely wrong. Many thanks to @andreagdipaolo for doing this request: MichaIng/DietPi#6688
- VisionFive 2 A major kernel upgrade to Linux 6.1 will be applied, including the needed configuration files to read and write the U-Boot environment, and a generic default environment. This allows booting from all filesystems of all partitions of all storage media, including NVMe SSDs, USB, eMMC, SD cards and DHCP/TFTP. This was necessary since the default environment of the latest StarFive U-Boot release does not support booting from any other then FAT filesystems on partition 3 anymore. It is hence necessary to apply our default environment before updating the SPI bootloader. After the DietPi update and a reboot, run
fw_setenvto do that. Afterwards you can use this command and
fw_printenvto edit the environment, including the
boot_targetsvariable to define boot targets and priorities. Additionally this release will apply device tree overlays to enable 8 GB RAM and A revision Ethernet support. As this is a major change, we recommend a
dietpi-backupor even an image backup. We are happy for any feedback: MichaIng/DietPi#6212
- DietPi-Software | Firefox Enabled the software option for RISC-V, since Debian provides packages now. But do not expect good performance, as GPU-acceleration is missing.
- DietPi-Software | ADS-B Feeder The uninstall has been hardened to rule out the removal of unused Docker images which were not created by ADS-B Feeder. Furthermore, beta tags are now correctly shown in the version string. Many thanks to @andreagdipaolo for reporting a related issue and @dirkhh for implementing the enhancement: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/6587#issuecomment-1743744008
- DietPi-Software | DietPi-Dashboard Experimental support for RISC-V has been added. Note that this will be an alpha build with alpha versions of certain dependencies, required to compile on RISC-V. Hence this is not suitable for production usage, which basically applies for RISC-V and the VisionFive 2 in general.
- Raspberry Pi Resolved an issue where the
/dev/serial*symbolic links were missing if
binutilswas not installed, which broke Bluetooth support among other things. Many thanks to @Rhiz3K for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6666
- Sparky SBC Resolved an issue where our current image was not booting because the old initramfs did not support new ext4 filesystem capabilities. Many thanks to @tenoritiger for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/sparky-sbc-allo-not-booting-os/18011
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi daily cron Resolved an issue where daily APT update checks failed if daily DietPi update checks were disabled. Many thanks to @lz1aam for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6651
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi-DDNS YDNS has been added to the list of natively supported DDNS providers. Many thanks to @edmundlaugasson for requesting and @TDuffinNTU for implementing it: MichaIng/DietPi#5128, MichaIng/DietPi!6674
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi-Config Resolved an issue where the WiFi channel selection was not possible with 5 GHz mode enabled. Many thanks to @lukaszsobala for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/6636#issuecomment-1734427451
- DietPi-Software | motionEye Resolved an issue where motionEye failed to build on Bullseye systems since piwheels currently have no wheel for the latest Pillow version.
- DietPi-Software | frp Resolved an issue where the frp client could not connect to the frp server, because of missing spaces around the equal sign for the token setting in
/etc/frp/frpc.ini. Many thanks to @josemahj for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6647
- DietPi-Software | Home Assistant Resolved an issue where the install failed on ARMv6, ARMv7 and RISC-V systems, since new build dependencies are required.
As always, many smaller code performance and stability improvements, visual and spelling fixes have been done, too much to list all of them here. Check out all code changes of this release on GitHub: MichaIng/DietPi!6693