August 2023 (version 8.21)¶
The August 26th, 2023 release of DietPi v8.21 comes with a new image for the Orange Pi 5 Plus, better Orange Pi 5 support, improvements to the
WiFi HotSpot and a couple of improvements and bug fixes.
- Orange Pi 5 Plus Support for the Orange Pi 5 Plus SBC has been added to DietPi with hardware ID 82. Images will be provided on our download page: https://dietpi.com/#download
- Orange Pi 5, ROCK 5B An update of the kernel to Linux 5.10.160 will be applied automatically as part of the DietPi update.
- Orange Pi 5 An update of the U-Boot package will be applied. When flashing it to SPI via
dietpi-config> “Advanced Options” > “Update SPI bootloader”, it enables booting DietPi via NVMe and USB.
- RK33xx SBCs All SBCs with RK33xx SoC and Armbian’s
linux-image-current-rockchip64kernel package will receive a major kernel upgrade to Linux 6.1.46, including lots of fixes and enhancements that have been applied upstream and by Armbian in the meantime. Since Armbian’s APT repository has not seen any update since February 2023, we started compiling and hosting own builds. An own APT repository is being worked on to better distribute our own package builds.
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi-Config | WiFi HotSpot When applying settings, manually changed IP addresses in
/etc/network/interfaceswill now be preserved. Additionally, it is now assured that changing interface names, e.g. due to an additionally attached WiFi adapter, are now aligned across
/etc/network/interfaces, hostapd and DHCP server configs.
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi-Config | WiFi HotSpot Toggles for enabling 802.11ac/WiFi 5, 802.11ax/WiFi 6 (Bookworm only) and 5 GHz WiFi respectively have been added to the menu.
- DietPi-Software | WiFi HotSpot We added new
SOFTWARE_WIFI_HOTSPOT_5Gto have 802.11n/WiFi 4, 802.11ac/WiFi 5, 802.11ax/WiFi 6 (Bookworm only) and 5 GHz support respectively enabled on install.
- DietPi-Globals | G_GET_NET Resolved an issue where the default route was not detected correctly if learned via OSPF or other routing protocols which change the output field numbers of the
ip routecommand. Many thanks to @owendelong for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6561
- DietPi-Installer Resolved an issue where building images for ARMv7 hardware was not possible on a ARMv8 host. Offered/accepted ARM hardware IDs are now based on the userland/OS architecture of the image instead of the CPU/kernel architecture returned via
uname -m. Many thanks to @dirkhh for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi?6541
- DietPi-Set_swapfile Resolved an issue on Bookworm systems where zram swap space was not enabled automatically on boot due to missing
syscallpermissions, and the swappiness was not changed as intended. Many thanks to @magicfoxt-magicfox for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6511
- DietPi-Software | DietPi-LetsEncrypt Resolved a v8.20 regression where Lighttpd did not start after applying or renewing the certificate due to a syntax error. Many thanks to @JappeHallunken for fixing this issue: MichaIng/DietPi!6517
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi-Config Resolved an issue where
/etc/network/interfaceswas created with missing key values if lines were previously manually removed. Defaults are now applied in this case. Many thanks to @huettenwirt for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/ifup-error-due-to-faulty-etc-network-interfaces/17605
- DietPi-Tools | DietPi-Config Resolved an issue where the DHCP server failed to start after applying WiFi HotSpot settings.
- DietPi-Software | TasmoAdmin Resolved an issue on Bookworm systems with Nginx and Lighttpd webserver where login and logout did not work anymore as the rewrite directives pointed to a file which does not exist anymore since TasmoAdmin v3. Many thanks to @TBirth for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/tasmoadmin-not-found-after-visiting-login-page/17632
As always, many smaller code performance and stability improvements, visual and spelling fixes have been done, too much to list all of them here. Check out all code changes of this release on GitHub: MichaIng/DietPi!6580