July 2020 (version 6.31)¶
Welcome to the July 2020 release of DietPi. There are a number of updates in this version that we hope you will like it.
- Raspberry Pi - Support for Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit) has been added, including any other Debian pre-image on RPi.
- Odroid C4 - Support for this new Hardkernel SBC has been added to allow image creation based on Meveric Odroid repository, including Kodi support.
- Network “ping” - it can now be used by all users without any file capabilities,
setuid. For this we allow all users to create native ICMP sockets which are available since Linux 3.X but disabled by default on Debian. Other distributions and systemd (upstream) have this enabled by default and for security and usability reasons we follow them. Click here for more details
- DietPi-Login - A new setting has been added which allows to skip the interactive GPLv2 license agreement on first login. Add/set “AUTO_SETUP_ACCEPT_LICENSE=1” in
(/boot/)dietpi.txtin which case we assume you read and agreed the license text at least once.
- DietPi-Cleaner - Enhanced performance of the files cleaner if
/mntis skipped, especially in combination with large drives or network mounts.
- DietPi-Drive_Manager - SSHFS entries in
fstabare now detected and preserved.
- DietPi-Config - Added Ethernet link speed selection to Network>Ethernet menu. The function and
dietpi.txtentry exists for a long time but it was only exposed as first run setup option.
- DietPi-Software - WireGuard - Added generic support for all SBCs where the WireGuard kernel module is shipped together with the kernel package. This applies to most current Armbian-based images at the time of writing and will be the more regular case since Linux 5.6 has WireGuard natively integrated.
- DietPi-Software - Firefox Sync Server - It has been added to our software list, which allows to sync your Firefox bookmarks, history, tabs and passwords via your self-hosted server.
- DietPi-Software - Folding@Home - Updated to latest v7.6.X, which includes an explicit option for prioritising COVID 19 projects see link. This update is applied to all systems with DietPi v6.31, existing config and data are preserved.
- **DietPi-Software - Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr - The /media directory as second common mount point can now also be used as download/media directory without manually adding it to the systemd units
- DietPi-Software - Samba Server - Changed default server-side file permissions from 0775 to 0664, hence files on the server are by default created without execute permissions now, which suits usual standards.
- DietPi-Software - QuiteRSS - Re-added the years ago accidentally removed install code block. If you ever wondered why there was no QuiteRSS after selecting it for install, now there will be. If it is marked as installed already, run either
dietpi-software install 22or simply
apt install quiterssto (really) get it.
- DietPi-Software - Squeezelite - Updated to v1.9.7 and the service runs now as own user
- System - Resolved potential issues due to missing /media directory on DietPi images, which is not used by default but is part of FHS and can hence be expected by Linux software, e.g.
- DietPi-Login - Resolved an issue where the script called itself from within the error handler subshell. Generally the error handler subshell must never call dietpi-login (and related autostart programs) and dietpi-login must never call itself from an interactive subshell.
- DietPi-Drive_Manager - Resolved an issue where moving the RootFS to an external drive did not include DietPi userdata.
- DietPi-LED_control - Resolved an issue where LED triggers fail to become boot persistent.
- DietPi-Config - Resolved an issue on RPi3+ models where RPi3 non-plus overclocking profiles were shown.
- DietPi-Config - Resolved an issue on RPi4 2/4/8 GiB RAM models where the current GPU memory split was not obtained correctly.
- DietPi-Software - Logging choice - Resolved an issue where manually choosing logging options “None” and “Full” during first run installs did not uninstall DietPi-RAMlog as intended.
- DietPi-Software - GMediaRender + WireGuard - Resolved an issue where service start could have failed due to invalid network information.
- DietPi-Software - rTorrent - Resolved an issue where startup fails because of invalid default config values.
- DietPi-Software - Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr - Resolved an issue where those software services crashed once an hour due to faulty SQLite database log file clearing.
- DietPi-Software - WireGuard - Resolved an issue where WireGuard in client mode failed to start due to missing resolvconf. It is now installed together with WireGuard when choosing client setup.
- DietPi-Software - WireGuard - Worked around an issue where on some Odroids install failed due to missing
symlinksto the Linux headers.
- DietPi-Software - Ubooquity - Updated the installer to pull the latest version from Vae Mendis Software directly and enhanced permissions to better integrate with other software.
- DietPi-Software - Node.js - Resolved an issue where Node failed to start due to missing new
- DietPi-Software - TigerVNC - Worked around an external bug where the VNC server crashed after client logout or failed to start at all.
- DietPi-Software - XRDP - The above TigerVNC bug affected as well XRDP connections which have been resolved in the same turn: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3615#issuecomment-650559035
As always, many smaller code performance and stability improvements, visual and spelling fixes have been done, too much to list all of them here. Check out all code changes of this release on GitHub: MichaIng/DietPi!3640
Last but certainly not least, a big Thank You to the following people who contributed this month to DietPi:
Contributions to our issue tracking, reporting issues and providing insights:
- @Joulinar: Many thanks for investigating this issue and providing the workaround.
- @mrbluecoat: Many thanks for reporting the urgent use-case of Chromium kiosk mode autostart without keyboard attached: MichaIng/DietPi#3326
- @maartenlangeveld: Many thanks for revealing the underlying issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3609
- @maartenlangeveld: Many thanks for making this suggestion: MichaIng/DietPi#3581
- @jokoren: Many thanks for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3558
- @nosyaardvark: Many thanks for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3583#issuecomment-643583664
- @sdomotica & @Joulinar: Many thanks for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3600#issuecomment-643261670
- @FrostyMisa: Many thanks for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3636
@lone: Many thanks for reporting this issue.
- @Pain-Patate: Many thanks for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3588
- @fnsnyc: Many thanks for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3519
- @yahoo456: Many thanks for reporting this issue.
- @repomanz: Many thanks for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3577
- @Mr.Roboto: Many thanks for making this suggestion.
- @larsno: Many thanks for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#3614
Contributions to DietPi:
- @FusionPlmH: MichaIng/DietPi#3570: Many thanks for doing this request.
- @notwork: Many thanks for doing this suggestion.
- @CedArctic: Many thanks and all credits for implementing this software title: MichaIng/DietPi!3471
@ricardoandren: Many thanks for doing this suggestion: MichaIng/DietPi#3561
- @volpone: Many thanks for doing the update request: MichaIng/DietPi#2386
- @PiTech and @vorrac: Many thanks for reporting and fixing this issue.
- @Taloth from Sonarr: Many thanks, including all the others who reported, investigated and finally solved the mystery.