RPi: - Move the filesystem to a USB Drive

Guides and tutorials for various stuff. Posted by DietPi users.

Re: DietPi - Boot RPi from USB?

Postby k-plan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi.

which "boot problem" do you mean?

"repair disc" by what? By fsck ?

In your system need/want/make as filesystem check and repair, something is going wrong.
Storage medium is going to be faulty, or something witch power supply system is wrong.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
User avatar
k-plan
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Re: DietPi - Boot RPi from USB?

Postby johnvick » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 am

The Pi3 can boot from USB drive without SD card - see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=655

This is for interest only as it does not create a stable system.

John
User avatar
johnvick
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: RPi: - Move the filesystem to a USB Drive

Postby jsfrederick » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:24 pm

I've converted all my Pi's to boot from hard drive or USB stick. Works flawlessly! Followed the official instructions here: ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

I've had no issues so far. I am wondering if DietPi can be done using the same instructions. Has anyone tried? What is the take on official support for this from DietPi?

Thanks!
jsfrederick
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: RPi: - Move the filesystem to a USB Drive

Postby k-plan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm

jsfrederick wrote:Has anyone tried?


Yes.

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -246702824

Running DietPi on a USB HDD w/o SD

jsfrederick wrote:I've converted all my Pi's to boot from hard drive or USB stick.



All Raspberry Pi's ?!
I will say no.
What's about Raspberry Pi-Zero, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi B+ , Raspberry Pi B, Raspberry Pi A, Raspberry Pi 2, ...?


jsfrederick wrote:I've had no issues so far.


I have: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -246734927

And, unfortunately seeing no advantage over moving filesystem to USB devices. Only drawback and rising boot up time. Sorry.
But you can do as you like.


jsfrederick wrote:What is the take on official support for this from DietPi?


https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -258833304
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
User avatar
k-plan
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Re: RPi: - Move the filesystem to a USB Drive

Postby jsfrederick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 pm

k-plan wrote:
jsfrederick wrote:Has anyone tried?


Yes.

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -246702824

Running DietPi on a USB HDD w/o SD

jsfrederick wrote:I've converted all my Pi's to boot from hard drive or USB stick.



All Raspberry Pi's ?!
I will say no.
What's about Raspberry Pi-Zero, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi B+ , Raspberry Pi B, Raspberry Pi A, Raspberry Pi 2, ...?


All the Pi's I have are RPi 3's so, yes, all mine are booting from hard disk.
jsfrederick wrote:I've had no issues so far.


I have: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -246734927

And, unfortunately seeing no advantage over moving filesystem to USB devices. Only drawback and rising boot up time. Sorry.
But you can do as you like.

I do. It reduces the issues with booting and writing to SD cards and produces a more stable storage platform. Yes, it does increase the boot time, but that is something I will live with. It also allows for LARGE (>2TB) storage platforms. I am using them for Nextcloud and Netatalk.

jsfrederick wrote:What is the take on official support for this from DietPi?


https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -258833304



[i]I did see and read the other message about this process. I think that most folks had attempted USB boot before it was "Officially" supported by RPI Foundation. They just supported this in March (I think). So maybe it would work well now with DietPi. I may give it a try when I get a few minutes.[

Thanks for the info/i]
jsfrederick
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: RPi: - Move the filesystem to a USB Drive

Postby tdiguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Curious,
I previously had tried to run diet pi off usb and it was not supported.
My pi is set up to boot from the USB without an issue. I currently run Raspbian stretch off a usb stick.
Does diet pi now support booting from the usb so i could download the image write the image to usb with etcher and get rolling?
tdiguy
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Previous

Return to Community Tutorials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests