Python 3.6

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.

Python 3.6

Postby inteldork » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 am

Is it possible to make Python 3.6 the default python3 version in DiatPi?

I love the simplicity and stability of DietPi and use it as the backbone for my Home Assistant. Home Assistant has decided to deprecate Python 3.4 support as outline here: https://home-assistant.io/blog/2017/10/06/deprecating-python-3.4-support/

Thanks!
inteldork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Python 3.6

Postby secpri » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Take a look here, i've tested it, so far i got no problems :mrgreen:
secpri
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Re: Python 3.6

Postby inteldork » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:20 pm

secpri wrote:Take a look here, i've tested it, so far i got no problems :mrgreen:


Thanks I saw your post. I get that you can install stuff on your own, but then what is the point of using a custom distribution? You might as well just use Arabian and customize it yourself. For me the biggest benefit of using DietPi is the fact that it is meintained and I can trust it's stability and don't need to worry about comparability, etc.
inteldork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Python 3.6

Postby k-plan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:42 pm

@secpri

I like your walkthrough.

You have a individuel problem, your search and found a solution and share it with us.

Nice work. Thank you very much.


inteldork wrote:Is it possible to make Python 3.6 the default python3 version in DiatPi?


Hmm ... think it's not the best idea.

inteldork wrote: For me the biggest benefit of using DietPi is the fact that it is meintained and I can trust it's stability and don't need to worry about comparability, etc.


Yes, this hit the point, to not do it!

Python 3.4 => Debian Jessie (oldstable)

Python 3.5=> Debian Stretch (stable)

Python 3.6 => Debian Buster (testing)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
User avatar
k-plan
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Re: Python 3.6

Postby inteldork » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:06 pm



I think I understand your point. Are you saying that the request would make more sense for Python 3.5, since that is currently stable? I am fine with that as well.

So is it possible to make Python 3.5 the default version in DietPi?
inteldork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Python 3.6

Postby k-plan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:19 pm

inteldork wrote:So is it possible to make Python 3.5 the default version in DietPi?


Witch device do you own?

Never tested python version or software who needed python, but DietPi Strech is on testing since Aug. 2016 for some devices:

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/475

Stretch (Beta) | testers wanted

Can't guarantee everything is working, but you can give it a shot.
Best practice is to use a new or other sd card to test and store the old working sd card installion aside.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
User avatar
k-plan
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Re: Python 3.6

Postby inteldork » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 pm

I own an RPi3. Ok sounds good I will throw it on a new SD card and see how it goes.
inteldork
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Python 3.6

Postby k-plan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:00 pm

inteldork wrote:So is it possible to make Python 3.5 the default version in DietPi?

inteldork wrote:I own an RPi3.


Have only a RPi B for testing DietPi Strech at the moment.
But pyhton version looks okay for me.

Code: Select all
---------------------------------------
 DietPi     | 17:45 | Mon 27/11/17
 ---------------------------------------
 V159       | RPi B (armv6l)
 ---------------------------------------

root@RPi-B:~# cat /etc/debian_version
9.1

root@RPi-B:~# uname -a
Linux RPi-B 4.9.62+ #1 Fri Nov 17 22:37:52 GMT 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

root@RPi-B:~# python3 --version
Python 3.5.3



But problems with RPi3 onboard WiFi support can be a show-stopper, depending on your personal use case.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
User avatar
k-plan
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:28 pm


Return to Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests